Monday, January 17, 2011

Kindly Send Me Some Good Stuff- For Freeee! or The Power of the Written Word or The pen is Mightier Than That Crappy Service You Just Gave Me





    I’m the type of person who feels that if a business is doing a great service then someone should be recognized for a job well done. I also believe that if it’s a shitty job, then they need to be aware that something is rotten in Denmark. I generally use email as my weapon of choice, although the written letter- good old pen and paper- seem to get better results.
    I’m not sure why but people usually only leave a comment if it’s negative about a meal or a sales associate. These people are missing the boat entirely. We are a little, if not a lot, desensitized from all the negativity that plagues our everyday lives, thus making it hard for us to discern between being an ass or not. Think of the lady behind you in line bitching because the checker is so slow, or the guy that can see you’re next but straight up doesn’t care and just steps in ahead of you. I’m pretty sure I’ve taken someone’s sweet parking spot they were eyeballing before I rolled up. Is this impatience, discourtesy, or just human behavior?

               
    A sure fire way to feel better about yourself is to write a nice comment about an experience that you’ve had and get it to the right person. We’ve all worked crap jobs that are demeaning and less than dignified: it seems only right to reach out and give an atta’ boy to some poor sap serving you that meal exactly the way you ordered it. Could you do the same job with such grace? The answer is probably no.
    A medical facility I’d written to to complain about my experience at their hands was met with a response that really rings true; 80% of their business is generated through word of mouth. For those of us who already knew that’s the way the world works, it’s not a surprise, for the rest of you jack-asses- take heed. A company not only wants your business, it needs it. You have a voice so use it. You do not have to through good money after bad, just saying, “Oh, well”.(p.s.they refunded my money)
    Next time you are out and about taking care of all those annoying things that must be taken care of, try to focus on the folks that made it a little easier and do something about it. I’m all about the other end of the spectrum too; if someone is just ridiculous, by all means let someone know. There’s no excuse for shitty service no matter where you are- firm believer in this one my friends.
    Over the years my praises have been met with much of the same result, a mention of thanks returned and often free goods. We all like that! Big fan of Hansen’s Natural Soda, I let them know and they sent me a case. Oh yeah, that’s right. That’s one time and there are others, but the point is a little kindness can go a long way and it only takes a minute. Just think of the endless possibilities from all those good vibes.
   


                     

No comments:

Something fishy is going on here...

Just sit back and relax, put your feet up, close your eyes-no, no not that- open your eyes, that's it, nice and slow, now open your mind: here we go.

Followers

About Me

My photo
This is a fantastic picture of a fifth grade girl who is about to show her stuff to the gym full of high schoolers. And by stuff I mean the most incredible rendition of "Micky" ever known to an air band.