Saturday, September 5, 2009

*Labor Day is just a friendly reminder of what is right around the corner.


The Last Hurrah

This week-end holds more pressure than a Swedish masseur. I mean, the fact is that if you aren't doing something wonderful for Labor day weekend, forget it, you're so lame. What no camping plans? Did you say you were just going to kind of hang around the house? Good Lord man, what is going through your mind?
Seems to me the whole idea behind "Labor Day" is that we all get a day off, or one prays we all get a three-day weekend. Along with the extra time off comes the obligatory "plans". I'm unsure where this started, I will guess in the '50's sometime when the American family was encouraged to hit the national campgrounds, hook up the round, silver travel trailer, gas up the boat of a car you were driving and make good use of the fact that you had a shortened work week. Well, thanks a lot grandpa and grandma, now we are stuck with this tradition and I think it's gotten out of hand.
Way too much effort goes into planning, purchasing, packing, setting up, tearing down, and finally unpacking again once you get home. Oh, did I mention this all takes place the DAY before school starts? That's what I want to do; be thoroughly exhausted before getting up to get the kids off on their first day of school, still wreaking of campfire smoke. Why bother?
It's a hassle, it's expensive and tiring, but what the heck; it is what it is. It's an American institution at this point in our history and I, too will be hitting the highway to find the perfect camp site. I just happen to be lucky enough to have a wonderful friend, who has a wonderful family who has property on the river. I will have to find my relaxation where I can amid the ciaos of Paul Bunyan Days, a camp site with 50 friends and family members, and a mini van stuffed to the gills with gear and kids galore. What's not to love?

No comments:

Something fishy is going on here...

Just sit back and relax, put your feet up, close your eyes-no, no not that- open your eyes, that's it, nice and slow, now open your mind: here we go.

Followers

About Me

My photo
This is a fantastic picture of a fifth grade girl who is about to show her stuff to the gym full of high schoolers. And by stuff I mean the most incredible rendition of "Micky" ever known to an air band.